Guest Blog Post: Hashtags or Trashtags?


Below is another guest post from our prolific guest bloggers/creative team/#annoyingfuckers. Cheers Rob and Bryan Lad.

It’s no surprise hash tags have rocketed to become a wickedly popular trending tool amongst the twitter savvy. So you bet your ass brands have become all chummy with our little pound sign friend, you can’t even buy a packet of crisps without Gary Lineker wanting you to like them on facebook or give you a trending topic to tweet to the twitterverse. Hell, they’re everywhere. There’s even a naughty bunch of you that use them on facebook (you know who you are and you should be ashamed). 

Now the thing is, I have some beef with the way brands are using our criss-crossed little fella. They’re not paying enough attention to it, they’re just slapping it onto the end frame of their ads for the sake of it. It needs tenderness love and affection, I bet they don’t even notice when it’s had its hair done anymore and I can guaran-damn-tee they don’t remember the last time they told it ‘I love you’. You have a big bloody opportunity here you dopey-faced idiots, and you’re blowing it! 

An example I saw of this was for the upcoming movie ‘The Purge’. Right at the end of the ad there was a hash tag #SurviveTheNight thrown onto the end frame all willy-nilly, and I thought ‘damn that’s a really interesting line’. But what now? What are you telling me to do? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? Why the f*ck (im keeping it clean people) should I use this hash tag of yours? I’m not going to gain anything from it, there’s nothing in it for me as a consumer, as a matter of fact you want me to do everything here don’t you and for free? << #thingsyouhearinagencies (Bloody placements). See here’s an example of a useful hash tag, I did it because its funny. That’s my takeout. And like all of you I love to share my comedy genius, boyish charm and unrivaled intelligence 140 characters at a time (come on we all think were brilliant on twitter, and sexy). 

But to get back to my point, you cant just throw a hash tag onto your ads and products because all the other boys and girls are doing it. A hash tag should be there to fulfill a purpose, there needs to be an incentive, and if you don’t understand that, well you shouldn’t be running a business, actually better yet you can go and #fuckyourself. Oh balls, I blew the keeping it clean part of this post. I that case tits, bum willy.

And here is a shameless plug for myself follow me @robertgorton, oh and I have an art director @bshryane. Actually he has more followers than me, scratch that last part just follow me, Brendan is boring anyway.. and a closet homosexual.

Comments